Trip Planning Information

Milages to Bissett Floatplane Base

Winnipeg 140
Fargo 370
Minneapolis 600
Rapid City 870
Kansas City 960
Chicago 1010
Indianapolis 1180

Getting to the Floatplane Base

  Winnipeg to 59 North: If you rented a vehicle at the airport or are traveling through Winnipeg on your way to Shining Falls, travel around Winnipeg on the Perimeter Highway 100 (south half of city) and #101 (north half of city). This will take you around to the northeast side of the city. If you are driving from the airport, take Route 90 north out of the city and then take Highway 101 East to 59 North.

  Pembina border crossing to 59 North: If you enter Manitoba via I-29 at the Pembina border crossing you will be on Highway 75 North after you cross the border. Continue on 75 until you reach Winnipeg, then exit onto Perimeter Highway 100 to the East. Travel on Highway 100 until you reach Highway 59 North.

  Highway 59 North to Airbase: Travel 59 North for about 55 minutes. Turn right when you see the sign for Highway 304, which will lead you right into Bisset. Powerview is a good place to stop for gas. The last 25 miles is a "nice" gravel road. The airbase is located right in Bissett on Rice Lake. Click here to view map of Bissett.


Many of our guests plan on an overnight stay prior to departing from the floatplane base to the Lodge, this will ensure that you are well rested for your trip. The more popular options are the Northern Wings B & B (in town), the Papertown Motor Inn (70 miles to base), and the South Beach Casino (100 miles to base).

What To Bring

Good communication and cooperation among your party members will help keep you within your 100 pound weight limit. We suggest using a soft sided duffel for your gear. Think about sharing toothpaste, shaving cream, shampoo, toothbrushes (just kidding!), tackle boxes, flashlights, spare rods and reels.

Weight Restriction

Maximum weight restriction is 100 pounds per person. Excess baggage is charged $1.50 per pound on a "space available" basis only. Don't bring too much! Leave that 40 lb. tackle box at home and don't pack too many clothes! Leave a set of clean clothes for travelling in your car, back at the float plane base. No need to fly them to the camp.

Crossing the Border

Canada does not require a visa for U.S. citizens visiting for 180 days or less. However, Canadian law does require that anyone entering Canada provide both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card will suffice. Children under the age of 18 will be required to present proof of citizenship and identity.

If you are traveling with children of whom you do not have legal custody you may be asked to provide a notarized affidavit of consent from the legal guardian. Visit CBSA's website for more details.

Just as with the United States there are restrictions as to what you can bring with you into Canada. We encourage you to check the CBSA's website for a complete list.

If you have a criminal record, including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired charges, you may be prevented from crossing the border into Canada. We urge you to obtain a special waiver prior to your fishing adventure. For more details click here to view a document prepared on crossing the US border into Canada or contact Citizenship and Immigration for assistance.

Upon return to the United States from Canada you will be required to provide a valid US passport to reenter by air. If you drive back you will be required to provide U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. For those under the age of 16 a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate will be accepted. For more information regarding entry/reentry to the United States.